MSSP, SOCaaS, & Concierge Security Team: Which Outsourced Security Service is Best for My Business?
Business cybersecurity can be challenging to navigate—especially when you have so many services to choose from.
Though it’s possible for some businesses to tackle their own cybersecurity, it requires hiring several highly skilled specialists, which can be very expensive. For this reason, most companies outsource their security services to providers who come at an affordable rate and have a wider scope, range of resources, and understanding of complex cybersecurity management.
MSSP vs. SOCaaS with a Concierge Security Team
When it comes to outsourced security services, two main options companies consider are 1) hiring an MSSP (Managed Security Service Provider), or 2) opting for a SOCaaS (Security Operations Center as a Service) with a Concierge Security Team.
Here’s a quick breakdown of what each solution provides:
MSSP: An MSSP or Managed Security Service Provider helps monitor your systems round the clock, while also providing general security management and solutions when threats arise. Their popularity stems from the fact that they are subscription based, meaning they come at an affordable monthly cost.
SOCaaS: Security Operations Center as a Service extends beyond the basic services offered by many MSSPs and can vary in pricing model. SOCaaS incorporates key tools such as Managed Detection & Response (MDR), compliance, and real-time alerting to give you a more holistic security solution.
Concierge Security Team: A Concierge Security Team is a single point of contact for SOCaaS that facilitates threat detection, response, and mitigation. They act as your security advisor and an extension of your in-house team to provide you with the human element needed to proactively maintain your systems. They help tailor security services to your business needs by integrating solutions into your existing systems, preventing vendor lock-in or expensive equipment replacements.
Many companies opt to combine SOCaaS with a Concierge Security Team so they can benefit from a valuable combination of AI and human expertise.
Pros and Cons of MSSPs
To get a better look at what MSSPs can do for your business, here are some of their pros and cons:
- They are affordable: MSSPs’ services come at an affordable monthly rate to help your business save money. Instead of charging per service like a break-fix model would, MSSPs give you predictable costs so you can budget better.
- They can supplement an in-house team: MSSPs can be a good solution for businesses who already have an in-house team but need to delegate more basic IT management to an outsourced provider. They can monitor and maintain your systems while your in-house team focuses on more complex projects.
- They have a limited scope and few post-intrusion solutions: MSSPs do monitor alerts, but they don’t usually provide proactive threat hunting and incident response. With an MSSP, businesses will often still need an in-house team to manage analysis, triage, and response.
- They don’t provide personalized solutions: MSSPs often outsourced to call centers, meaning representatives have little insight into your industry, compliance, and security needs. This can cause resolutions to take longer and be less strategically optimized.
- They lack visibility: Because MSSP services are more basic, compliance solutions and other broad-view security solutions are generally not included in their services.
Pros and Cons of SOCaaS with a Concierge Security Team
- They offer a combination of artificial intelligence and human expertise: As mentioned, many companies choose to go with a combination of SOCaaS and a Concierge Security Team. AI-based tools incorporated in SOCaaS allow for more accurate and proactive threat detection and management, while human IT specialists on your Concierge Security Team act as consultants to provide the most appropriate solutions for your business.
- They provide custom support and consulting: Working with a Concierge Security Team guarantees personalized service and customized cybersecurity solutions for your business and the industry you’re in. This includes compliance services, giving you a more holistic approach to managing your cybersecurity.
- They have greater visibility and ability to provide long-term solutions: A Concierge Security Team will provide triage and response, gaining broader visibility to the threats that face your systems. They can also conduct security posture reviews and provide recommendations based on years of experience and professional certifications to prevent future threats.
- Pricing models for SOCaaS vary: While SOCaaS with a Concierge Security Team is often affordable, pricing models can vary, making it slightly more difficult to budget for business IT. The main reason for pricing differences is that the services offered are much more advanced than an MSSPs and often have a greater scope.
- They may not be ideal for businesses who already have an in-house team: Businesses who already manage their cybersecurity and are in need of supplemental IT help may not need a SOCaaS with Concierge Security Team solution. They may need a lower-scale, cheaper solution to fill in the gaps.
Find the Right SOCaaS and Concierge Security Team Solution for Your Business
Finding the right SOCaaS and Concierge Security Team solution to meet your business needs is vital. Cybersecurity is a necessary function that protects your business against hackers, viruses, malware, and other common threats that can be detrimental to your success. Look for a concierge security team that provides customized, strategic solutions and ongoing support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you’re ready to hire a concierge security team for your business, get in touch to discuss your options and the customized solutions we can provide for your business.